Whew, that’s a mouthful huh?
I promise the actual project is so much simpler!
Check out this little video I made for Kin Community:
And then get ready to create your own neon tote on the cheap just in time for summer!
Plain Canvas Tote (Michael’s sells a 3-pack for $9.99!)
Neon Fabric Paint
White Fabric Paint
Small Paint Brush
Leather (or another heavy duty fabric)
1. Remove the straps from your tote using a seam ripper to remove the “xbox” reinforcements and scissors to cut off the existing straps.
2. Tape off three stripes: I made mine 2″, 1/2″, 1/4″.
3. Paint the bottom stripe with the neon paint full force.
4. Add a little white paint to the neon and paint the next stripe.
5. Add even more white paint and paint the final stripe.
6. Let dry and remove the painters tape. Woo hoo- magic straight stripy, stripes!
7. Cut 1″ wide leather straps (I made mine around 22″ long so that I can comfortably hang my bag over my shoulder) I cut the ends on the diagonal just to be fancy…
8. Stitch your new straps on to the outside of the bag where old straps once were. Neon thread looks awesome against leather, just saying! I recommend using a sewing machine and an “x” pattern for strength, but you could also stitch ‘em on by hand.
Not bad for a few bucks and a half hour, right?!
I think this is just the perfect amount of neon to spice up a neutral outfit or a trip to Trader Joe’s!
Which (right angle heavy) geometric shape should I experiment with next?
And what are you making this week?