Happy friday! Do you have fun plans for the weekend?
It’s actually supposed to rain here (crossing my fingers!) so I plan to enjoy some quality time indoors. My agenda includes a little brunch, followed by much reading, drinking, napping, and crafting. And repeat.
I may need a little sustenance for my weekend long house-party though, and this recipe is damn near perfect to share with friends in chilly weather, or to nibble away on all week(end). I usually serve it up with greens and cornbread for a delicious southern-inspired feast.
Vegan Mac n’ Cheese
serves 6-8 (or 1 piggy for a few days)
3 medium sized white or red potatoes, peeled
2 medium sized carrots, peeled
2 shallots or 1 small onion
4 cloves garlic
2 cups water
8 tablespoons earth balance
2/3 cup firm Mori-Nu (boxed) tofu
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 bread/panko crumbs
1 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
16 oz bag elbow pasta, aka macaroni!
1. In a large pot bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al
dente. Drain. Rinse. Set aside.
2. Roughly chop the potatoes, carrots, onions, and 2 cloves garlic. Place in small
saucepan, add water, cover, and simmer over low heat until carrots are soft.
3. Once carrots are easily speared, add 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and stir.
4. In a food processor, combine the mushy veggie mixture with the earth balance, remaining
2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, tamari, lemon juice, salt
and mustard and blend until smooth.
5. Set aside 2/3 cup of sauce in a small bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
6. Combine remaining sauce with macaroni in either a 9×13 baking dish or individual
ramekins (mine are giant souffle ramekins!).
7. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the top of your mac n’ cheese. Cover with foil and
bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an
additional 5-10 minutes.
8. Devour one ramekin at a time…
It’s rich, creamy and so delicious you won’t even miss the cheese!
(and you know how much I LOVE cheese!)
What are you eating/doing/dreaming of this weekend?